The history of Sokhumi State University begins on February 7, 1932, when by the decision of the Government of Georgia Pedagogical Institute was established in Sokhumi. Initially, Sokhumi Pedagogical Institute had two chairs that were mainly destined for preparing pedagogic staff. In the following years, other specialties were added and by the beginning of the 1960s the Pedagogical Institute became the leading educational and scientific center where the teaching process was conducted in the Georgian, Abkhaz and Russian languages. In 1979 Sokhumi Pedagogical Institute was re-established as University of Abkhazia (Sokhumi).
After the political events of 1989, the Georgian part with majority of academic staff and students separated from the University of Abkhazia. On May 14, 1989 on the basis of Georgian part Iv. Sokhumi Branch of Iv. Javakhishvili Tbilisi State University was established, which after the tragedy of Abkhaziafrom 1993 continued its functioning in Tbilisiin exile.
On July 31, 2007, by the decision of the Georgian government on the base of Sukhumi branch of TSU the Legal Entity of Public Law - Sokhumi University was established.
On January 4, 2008, the University received a state license for educational activities, and on January 8th of 2008 - State Accreditation (for 5 years).
On December 10, 2008, the Government of Georgia made amendments to Resolution No. 239 of the Government of Georgia, according to which Legal Entity of Public Law Sokhumi University was renamed to "Legal Entity of Public Law Sokhumi State University."
Today, five faculties of the university prepares specialists at Bachelor, Master and Doctoral levels. One bachelor-master program and two vocational education programs are currently functioning at the university. The University is involved in EU and USA international educational as well as scientific research projects.